Sunday, July 20, 2008

CHP Orientation

VERY STRANGE!!! Today we had the official orientation, and Drew reports tomorrow morning. We sat through many discussions and QA's in the gym at the Academy this afternoon. I watched a group of Cadets march by and shout "Good Afternoon Ladies, Good Afternoon Gentlemen" as they walked by. Each one of them to each person they walked by! I feel excited and nervous and very out of place. We've joined this "brotherhood" type thing, and it's very foreign to me.
I was telling Drew, the only thing I have participated in was buying his boots (which was strange enough to be in a store with all law-enforcement) and the last orientation which only had about 40 people there in a small classroom. Aside from those two things, Drew could have been off doing who knows what for the past few months instead of interview and ridealongs and I would not know the difference. I feel as though all the anticipation which has surrounded this for the last YEAR, just suddenly hit me like a brick wall and here I am!!! We watched videos today of the work out regimine and various road course exercises that the Cadets get trained on, so that was interesting. But we are both on information overload!!!

Endless amounts of paper concerning benefits, what to bring, what to be prepared for, info for support groups and families, info on pay, info on support for Cadets and Officers, etc... VERY overwhelming. We went on a tour of the campus. Saw the ground, the drill pad, the 'quads' where the Cadets live, we saw the fountain in the "Quad" (Honoring fallen Officers), and the exercise areas.

I'm excited and nervous. I didn't think I would be, but I am finally starting to feel that way. Luckily, Drew is not more nervous now...he's LESS nervous, and so excited! I'm so excited to see what this does for him. A sense of pride and accomplishment, and the respect from havingsuch a career! As scared as I am, I am ecstatic to see what the next couple years are going to look like. Especially since we DID NOT anticipate this, I did not marry a Cop! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment